This blog forms the sermon notes of a message I am preaching at CityNet Church on the 14th January 2018 as part of a Series on Foundations of our Faith called Bearers and Joists.
STATEMENT OF FAITH
What you believe is incredibly powerful –
· Eternal destiny hangs purely on belief you hold
· Believe in Jesus Christ – go to heaven
· Don’t believe in Jesus Christ – you go to hell
· That’s it.
· Basically – live life out of manifestation of your belief system
· Christian beliefs – devil wants to challenge what you believe.
ADAM & EVE IN GARDEN OF EDEN
· One of first things devil said – “Has God really said…?”
· Challenging belief of Eve and Adam
· Not only challenged belief – offered alternative belief.
Current series on Foundations of Christianity
· Exceptionally important we know what we believe
· Don’t know what we believe, don’t really have it sorted
· Devil can come and challenge us – can take us out.
INC MOVEMENT’S STATEMENT OF FAITH
10 points taken from INC statement of faith – added 8 more to make it more comprehensive.
· FAITH – what you believe – so important
· If you think you believe a certain thing and not right
· Could find yourself in eternity – on wrong side of the legend
· Challenge you to check out Statement of Faith
· If not what you believe – need to get that sorted for yourself
Encourage you to take notes and put directly into your Bible on blank page at back – complete with the points and verses.
INC STATEMENT OF FAITH
We believe in the following basic truths:
1 The Holy Scriptures – Their inspiration and infallibility.
What beliefs do you hold about the Word of God?
2 Timothy 3:16
“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
What do you believe about the Word of God?
· Given by God – infallible guide for natural life and spiritual life – not negotiable.
· Not theological textbook
· Book written by man but NOT MADE UP BY MAN
· Given to man under inspiration and direction of Holy Spirit.
2 The Godhead – comprising Father, Son and Holy Spirit
· Also called the Trinity – actual term not in Bible
Genesis 1:26 – God is talking to himself
‘Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
· God said – “Let US make man ….”
· If God singular- wouldn’t be saying “Let US…”
· Say to Himself “Let ME…”
· Need to understand here is a Godhead
Another good scripture on Trinity – when Jesus is baptized – shows distinctiveness of Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
“When all the people were baptized, it came to pass that Jesus also was baptized; and while He prayed, the heaven was opened. 22And the Holy Spirit descended in bodily form like a dove upon Him, and a voice came from heaven which said, “You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased.”
· If Jesus is the Son, and God is saying “You are My believed Son…”
· Then He must be the Father
· So the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are all separate beings that manifest in same story – so I believe in the Trinity.
What do you believe about the Godhead?
3 The Lord Jesus Christ – His humanity, deity, virgin birth, sinless life, atoning death for the sins of the world, resurrection for our justification, and ascension to the Father’s right hand.
Not using scriptures for each one of these – would be a whole message in itself on His humanity.
JESUS’ HUMANITY AND DEITY
· When Jesus came – fully man
· At the same time – fully God
· Had to be fully man to take our place – had to be a man just like us
· But in order to be sinless – had to be fully God
· How can you have two lots of 100%? – That is the mystery of Christ
· But He was fully God and He was fully man.
· When Mary gave birth to Jesus was a virgin – father was Holy Spirit
· Bible says Holy Spirit overshadowed her and she conceived
HIS SINLESS LIFE – Jesus went to Cross a sinless man
HIS ATONING DEATH – He paid price for sins of the world
His resurrection for our justification –
His ascension to the right hand of the Father
- Jesus is in our hearts because we have asked Him in
- But He is also at the right hand of the Father.
John 1:29 –
‘The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!’
4 Salvation – By faith in and confession of Jesus Christ as Lord, producing an upright and moral life.
We must know how we get saved.
- If somebody says to you “What must I do to be saved?”
- What would you tell them?
- “Go and see the Pastor?” No – wrong answer.
- “You have to pray something to do with Jesus but I’m not really sure…”
WHAT WE MUST DO TO BE SAVED
Romans 10:9 – says what we must do to be saved.
“If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus Christ and you believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”
- Confess that Jesus Christ is the saviour of the world
- That He died and arose for our sins and that is your belief system –
- You actually believe that happened –
- Then Bible says you are saved
- When people come out the front – confession part
- Sitting in their seat have already begun belief –
5 The Ordinances – Water Baptism, for all believers by immersion, the Lord’s Supper, celebrated regularly in remembrance of Christ.
Matthew 28:18-19 – The Great Commission
- Jesus tells his disciples he wants them to go into all the world
- Preach Gospel to every creature
- Baptising them in Name of Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Baptism is a belief system that we as a church hold
- If not been baptized – encourage you to be baptized – see me
I Corinthians 11:23 Paul talking to church at Corinth
“For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”
In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”
- Encouragement from Paul to Church of Corinth and
- Encouragement from Jesus when He actually instituted Laws at Last Supper.
- We need to do this regularly – not a once every quarter event –
- Regular thing – when come together need to celebrate Communion
- This church celebrates Communion every single Sunday
- Because to me Communion is a part of our belief –
- Lord’s Supper instituted by the Lord Jesus Christ.
6 Divine Healing – Secured for every believer through the atonement of Christ; and deliverance from all bondage to the power of Satan.
What do you believe about miracles of healing?
When was the last time you prayed for someone to be healed?
- Can be like saying you believe that Jesus heals –
- But never actually praying for anyone – yourself, neighbour, whoever.
I Peter 2:3
“…Who himself bore our sins in his own body on the tree, that we having died to sin might live for righteousness, but whose stripes you were healed.”
Somewhere in the body of Christ as He was being whipped –
- Bible says He received 39 lashes –
- As He took those stripes on his back – flesh became matted mess
- He was taking diseases of the world and by the stripes of Jesus
- By fact He gave His body as a substitute for us,
- We have access to the healing power of the Cross.
HEALING POWER OF THE CROSS
If we are sick – doesn’t matter if cancer or headache
We have the right to come into the presence of God
Say “Jesus it is by the authority of the Cross I come to access the healing power that was achieved by the stripes that You took in Your body and now I have this health issue in my life and I need your healing power.”
I believe in healing.
7 The Baptism in the Holy Spirit – With speaking in other tongues.
Not every church would hold this as a statement of belief but we certainly do in this church.
“But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
Acts 2:1 – the famous Pentecostal scripture about speaking in tongues
“When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.
3Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
- I believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
- I believe certainly a work of Holy Spirit you get saved
- I believe distinct separate experience to be filled with Holy Spirit
- When come in prayer and say “God, I want to be filled with the Holy Spirit – I want to be baptized in the Holy Spirit” – it will happen
- Can be at home, in a Cell Group or wherever.
8 The Gifts of the Holy Spirit – For the equipment of ministry and the edification of the Church; the fruit of the Holy Spirit as the expression of Christian character in believers.
1 Corinthians 12:1 – Paul is talking to church of Corinth about the gifts
“Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant…”
- Paul saying “I want you to know about spiritual gifts…
- “I want you to know what your spiritual gift is so that you can function in it.
- Each one of us has been given gifts
.”But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
Fruit of the Spirit –
- Basically when Holy Spirit is on your life – should be difference
- If say “I have the gift of the Holy Spirit on me…” but swear like a trooper …Get drunk, gamble etc
- Where is fruit of the Spirit in my life?
- If led by emotions, get angry etc,
- Then what difference has God made in my life?
Galations 5:22 – Fruit of Spirit – Manifestation, result of God in our life
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.
These are the characteristics of Christians – manifestation of Holy Spirit.
9 The Local Church – the Church Universal, operates through individual local churches that are the Body of Christ and ordained and commissioned to equip the saints and make disciples.
“And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.”
In other words, church is authority of God here on this planet.
“And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying (building up) of the body of Christ”
- I believe in the local church
- If we don’t have that as a belief,
- If we just think local church is there if some kind of a spiritual issue …
- … just after your money …
- …if I’ve got nothing better to do…
DEVIL OFFERS ALTERNATIVE…
- Invited along on a picnic … family do on…
- ..want to get the car washed ….. clean the house… mow lawn
- … really good movie on tonight …
- I’ll just skip church.
- I don’t believe in that
NEED TO BELIEVE IN AUTHORITY OF THE CHURCH
10 Bible Prophecy – Its fulfilment in world events, heralding the climax of this age and the return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Acts 1:11 “Men of Galilee,” they said. “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”
Colossians 3:4 When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
2 Peter 3:3 First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, “Where is the ‘coming’ he promised?
Revelation 22:20-21 He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen, Come, Lord Jesus. The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God’s people. Amen.
BIBLE PROPHECY –
1 Peter 1:20
”Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.”
Bible Prophecy – came by the Holy Spirit
Revelations – prophetic foretelling of the end of the world –
Additional points I believe should be part of your Statement of Faith.
11 The Eternal States – After you die every person will spend eternity in a conscious state located in either Heaven with God, or Hell separate from God.
We need to believe in hell
World doesn’t like concept of hell – so when you die – that’s it But you live on after you die in a conscious state – in heaven or hell
No option 3 – “I choose to die and that’s it…”
PARABLE OF THE SHEEP AND THE GOATS
Matthew 25: – Jesus talks about 2 groups of people and their eternal destiny and says
“Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.”
But he turns to those on left hand side – goats
Those that didn’t have relationship with God
“Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
“And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
So what do you believe about Heaven and Hell?
Is that factored into your belief system?
12 The Devil – formerly one of three Arch Angels. Caused the fall of man in the Garden of Eden. The devil and one third of the fallen angels are now active here on earth until the final judgement. The devil and his hordes were stripped of power at the cross.
“…Having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it”.
EXAMPLE – SOME PASTORS SAY “I LEAVE DEVIL ALONE…”
Say “I don’t do anything – I don’t pray against the devil ….
“If I leave him alone he’ll leave me alone….”
If you have that kind of belief system – drop it today
Not the most intelligent thing you can believe
Devil will not leave you alone…
If you are a Christian – he is out against you
Main weapon is deception and bluff.
Bible says he walks around like a roaring lion –
Yes, but has no teeth – can only roar – freak you out.
But if we know who we are in Christ and that he is a defeated foe
There is no fear.
13 The Great Commission. – Jesus’ final commandment to man – for all Christians to further the spread of the Gospel and fulfil his will that none should perish
“And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe:
In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
What do you believe about the Great Commission?
If you don’t believe – won’t even tell anyone about Jesus Christ
Talk about missions etc – but wouldn’t give money
Because don’t believe in the Great Commission.
Needs to be one of our great values – our great statements of belief –
That we believe in the Great Commission
Also need to believe that none should perish.
14 Miracles and Answered Prayer– God’s power toward us who believes is exceedingly great and accessed by faith
Ephesians 1:19 simply says
“…and there is an exceedingly great amount of power that is towards us that believe.”
15 Sanctification – that God calls Christians to live a life separate from the sin and carnality of the world – as a living sacrifice
God saved us to make a difference to the world – not for the world to make a difference to us.
People suggest invite non-Christians and Christian friends together
Be able to share Gospel – show that Christians are norma
Problem – non-Christians start to swear so Christians start too
World has influenced the Christians.
Called to be different – called to influence
I believe in sanctification and the scripture for that is
“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
16 People – Every individual person matters greatly to God and He seeks a relationship with each one.
“For God so loved the world that he gave is only begotten son.”
17 . Stewardship – We are called to be good stewards of all that God has blessed us with. This involves good stewards of our bodies, our time, our talents and our finances.
PARABLE OF THE TALENTS
Matthew 25 – Jesus tells the Parable of the Talents.
Is there anything in there that you might not believe?
Or is that your statement of belief?
DO YOU KNOW WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE?
Need to know what you believe.
If Jehovah Witness comes to your door – know what you believe.
We have to live by our convictions.
18. We believe that social justice reflects the heart of God and so the DNA of CityNet Church is toward giving a voice to those in the world who have no voice, or who are hurting, oppressed, abused or persecuted. (Is 1, Matt 25)
37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did itto one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.
Categories: Sermon Notes
Looks like a fabulous outline of a great series. Would love to listen in to all sessions.
“What you believe is incredibly powerful”
But what does it mean to believe Peter? And particularly in the context of God?
Kids “believe” in Santa; people “believe” in UFOs or a flat earth; people “believe” the Government cares about them; millions of religious people “believe” in Jesus, but this just seems to be some kind of mental acceptance of .
oops! that should have read “mental acceptance of [whatever it is they “believe”].”
I guess Adrian, most longer term Christians understand that a belief in Santa Claus and a belief in Jesus are two very different thing as one is mental assent as you mentioned and the other is a revelation of spirit calling to spirit. To think of the two terms of belief in the same construct will lead to a very limited understand of faith in Jesus Christ