I have been a Senior Pastor for 14 years and have been an Assistant Pastor for 8 years before that. If I was talking to a person who was just starting out as a Pastor these are the top ten pieces of advice that I would give them to help them in their journey.
1) Integrity in everything you do must be your highest value.
2) Be exceptional at articulating your vision and at motivating people to follow your vision.
3) People People People. People matter. Jesus died for them. Make sure they matter to you too. I once heard a Pastor say the church would be a great place except for the people: this kind of attitude is out of place for a true pastor.
4) Always family first.
5) The devil is a mongrel. Know your spiritual authority and stand strong in that.
6) Protect your marriage. Protect your wife. Protect yourself
7) Jesus sent the Holy Spirit as He birthed the early church:- maybe He knew what He was doing – so make the Holy Spirit your ministry partner.
8) Keep yourself Spiritually, Physically, Sexually, Attitudinally and Emotionally healthy – because if one of these is out of whack – your whole life is out of whack.
9) Be a great preacher.
You may also want to read
- Top Ten Pieces of Advice I would Give a New Christian
- The 10 Best Pieces of Advice I Have Been Given During My Life
- 20 Pieces of Advices As You Go Into 2013 (Relevant for any year)
Categories: Top Ten