Recently at CityHOPE Church I was speaking on the Power of Generosity.
I personally love the power of generosity and I think that it, like kindness has the power to change the world for the better. If we lived in a world that was more generous with things like, encouragement, kindness, grace, thoughtfulness and gratitude then the world would be a much much better place.
Generosity is a different way of living. It’s a different way of thinking. A different way of speaking – generosity is a language. The world of the generous gets larger and larger and ultimately generosity bring a wealth on the inside.
Three great bible verses on the topic of generosity are these ones:
- Proverbs 11:25
- 25 The generous soul will be made rich,
And he who waters will also be watered himself.
- Proverbs 22:9
- He who has a [a]generous eye will be blessed,
For he gives of his bread to the poor.
- Isaiah 32:8
- But a [a]generous man devises generous things,
And by generosity he shall stand.
These verses speak of the generous soul, the generous eye and the generous man….and each of these are rewarded as they are generous….not that this is their motive….its just the consequence of a generous person….generosity spills back into the life of the generous person.
As I spoke at the church, I gave them a list of 23 things that were my brainstorming suggestions as to areas that they could be more generous in. Here is the list.
1) With your encouragement
2) With your gratitude
3) With your kindness
4) With your touch
5) With your thoughtfulness
6) Serving in the church or volunteer for a charity
6) With your compliments
7) With your use of people’s names
8) On social media – be super positive
9) With your presence…..give people you undivided attention
10) Be forgiving. Drop the grudge.
11) Nominate someone for an award.
12) Be generous with your time
13) Listen intently
14) Acknowledge and interact with service people
15) Let someone go in front of you.
17) Remember people going through a hard time
18) Give Blood
19) Write to someone – hand written – or send someone something in the post.
20) Give some clothes away.
21) Been generous in prayer.
22) Be a random gift giver.
23) Be an enthusiastic celebrator.
If you became an outrageously generous person in 2019….I guarantee it will change your life.
And in the process, change many lives around you.
Anyway that’s what I think
Categories: CityHOPE Church, Justice
I was looking for:
24) Buy someone a coffee
25) Buy someone a coffee
26) Buy someone a coffee
…) Buy someone a coffee, or of they don’t like coffee
…) Buy someone a coke
Absolutely the way to go……