Late last year, I wrote a blog on Cyberbullying and had the opportunity to make a presentation to the then Prime Minister Julia Gillard, about the immense damage bullying can do. Bullying not just in the school yard, but in the workplace, online, anywhere.
Over the last few weeks the Pilt family, specifically my wife Melanie and two daughters, Lakeisha and Laura have been the subject of abusive and vile texts and threats. I will post some here and then I will tell you the course of action I have taken. My heart in posting this on a public blog is because I am sick of the bullying that goes on in society and I want to encourage anyone who is being bullied, to stand up to the bully. Enough is enough.
The following are quotes from just some of the 74 texts we received. Some were too explicit or too disturbing for me to share here:-
- I know you are moving schools, you will have something waiting for you
- You are a little c—
- It wont just be me burning in hell, you are a little white Christian c—
- You wait, I’ll send my cousin around to get you, with all her family
- You are a pathetic little f—wit
- I deadset hope you go and hang yourself
- You are a little s—
- You obviously aren’t much of a Christian
- I am going to bash you and you f—– mother
- Just shut your face
- Hunni you’ve been asking for this since day dot. I text my cousin and she isn’t happy and she said if you don’t go to school tomorrow we will either go to your f—— house or go to your school every morning cause you have to go to school one f—— day.
- And if your little sister is with you I will punch her too
- Okay slut, You wanna be a hero, fine I will bring my cousin to your school tomorrow and you can say anything you want to my f—— face
- I am coming to the school tomorrow morning
- You are all pathetic and I hope you all rot in hell
- You are a worthless piece of s—
- You are a whore
- You came from a f—– family and I guess its still in the generation
- Go kill yourself
- You are a fat sl–
- I am going to bash you
- Kill yourself
- Sometimes to deal with sh– you have to drop a bitch
- Like a hit to the face. You’re a pathetic m— and your church is a cult
- You are a stupid fat ugly sl– and I hope you burn in hell dopey dawwwg
I received abuse too but I am not too worried about that. I was concerned for my wife and daughters. So this is what we did:-
- We met as a family and decided that we should not respond to the person in question.
- I rang a Policewoman who is a family friend and inquired as to what the law says about this stuff and she informed me that it’s a Federal offence to use a telecommunications carriage to threaten, intimidate, harass or abuse another person.
- So I warned the person in question that if it continued, I would be going to the police.
- I waited another three days and with the text and abusive phone calls and pranking continuing – up to 20 phones calls a day, I went to the police. They advised that the best course of action was to take out an APVO:- An AVO made where the people involved are not related and do not have a domestic or personal relationship, for example, they are neighbours.
- Melanie and I discussed this and decided that the threats were of a sufficient level that they presented a credible threat to the safety of our girls and so we proceeded with the application for the APVO. (This would go to court in 12 days time)
- It was the next night however when the really specific threats came through and so I went back to the police and after viewing the screen shots of the threats, they decided to send a squad car around to the person’s house to warn them that they were breaking the law.
- Ten days later, yesterday (22nd August 2013), the matter came up in court and we were issued an interim order for three months, with a review at the end of the three months.
I hope this concludes the matter.
If you are being bullied, tell someone, stand up against the bully.