Well the media are waxing eloquent about the horror of the banks lifting interest rates just before Christmas. (I do smile as to why the media think that the manifestation of capitalism should be impacted by the celebration of the birth of the Messiah).
Cue the “Aussie Battler” who says he is rethinking what Christmas presents he can buy little Timmy now that the Grinch banks are stealing Christmas.
Oh and then the reporter claims that “if” interest rates increase it will cost the average Aussie a whole $45 a month. Wait up…so there is actually no announcement and this is all speculation? Roger that.
According to the ABS Website the Average Aussie wage is $1516 per week or $78,800 a year. So if the banks do increase interest rates, the $45 a month extra that the “Aussie Battler” will need to pay is 0.7% of their weekly wage.
So less than 1%.
Now I am not defending the money hungry, poor service banks. You can read my recent experience with ANZ Bank by Clicking here. What I am saying is that typical media traffic in fear and alarmist click bait.
What they don’t report on is that places like have Nowra have had increases in house prices over the last 12 months of between $70,000 to $100,000. So if you have an average mortgage in an average place like Nowra (calm down Nowra people I am not calling you average) and you have an average wage, then you are potentially down $45 a month (remember nothing has been announced) but possibly have increased your net wealth by $5,834 a month assuming a $70k increase in the last 12 months.
$45 vs $5,834 (per month)
Click Bait vs Reality.
Aussie Battler??? Really.
Anyway that’s what I think
If this Blog has been helpful, informative, or inspirational to you, please feel free to share it on Facebook or Twitter. Email Subscriptions to my blog are welcome or you can contact me through Facebook (facebook.com/peter.pilt5), Twitter (@PeterPilt) or Insta (@PeterPilt). Have a great day.
My Top Ten Most Popular Blogs Are:
- Exposing Nimble: Dumb Little Loans Deceptive Little Company
- Today the World was Outraged by the Wrong Thing: The Mitchell Pearce Incident
- Top 20 Creative Sermon Titles and Illustrations From Peter Pilt
- Compelling Evidence of the Authenticity of the Bible.
- Social Media: Is it Positive or Negative for a Person’s Spiritual Journey
- Is it OK to Eat Red Meat on Good Friday?
- Powerful Meditation on Ezekiel 37, The Valley of Dry Bones
- 44 Powerful Emotive Australian Photos
- Peter Pilt’s Seven Thoughts on the Sydney Siege
- 39 Powerful and Thought Provoking Questions