So upfront let me say this blog upsets me and pushes the church defensive button in me….and I am the author.
I was talking with a mate from NSW this arvo who is battling cancer. He has been in a local church for the last 40 years but unable to attend Sunday Services due to his illness for the last few months.
He made a comment today that said most of his care, concern and even some cash (he can’t work right now) has come from people outside the church.
Now I would normally spring to the defence of the church but sadly this is not the first time I have head this kind of comment. I actually wrote a blog about how I am over the sport of church bashing….And so I am not here to bash the church. I love the local church and have spent my life serving it. Click here to read that blog. But I have to ask why does the church at times fail in the care area?
And how do we fix this?
Are we too busy as Christians?
Are we too focused on helping those who are only ‘within the paddock’ of the church?
Do we have a heart to care and do so initially but then get distracted?
I told this story to the Pastoral Team of CityHOPE Church last night and said to them we must be a church that radically cares for people.
Jesus always showed great care….I think of the women with the issue of Blood….Jesus was on his way to an urgent appointment as a 12 year child was gravely ill, yet he took the time to care and connect with the woman with the issue of blood.
I am looking around my world right now and looking for anyone that maybe I should be showing more care to. I encourage anyone reading this blog to do the same and I encourage you even more so if you are a Christian. If the God of love lives in us, shouldn’t we of all people show love and care.
Anyway, that’s what I think.
Ps Peter Pilt
If this Blog has been helpful, informative, or inspirational to you, please feel free to share it on Facebook or Twitter. Email Subscriptions to my blog are welcome or you can contact me through Facebook (facebook.com/peterpilt), Twitter (@PeterPilt) or Insta (@PeterPilt). Have a great day.
Here are my Top Ten Theologically Orientated Blogs:
- Powerful Meditation on Ezekiel 37–Valley of the Dry Bones
- A Meditation On The Story of Jonah–From A Recent Sermon I Preached.
- There Is A Smorgasbord Of Religions In The World: What’s A Key Distinctive Of Christianity?
- I Support Euthanasia and I am Against it at the Same Time.
- Be Inspired by These Amazing Bible Illustrations.
- Peter Pilt on Shemitah, Blood Moons and the End of the World
- Peter Pilt’s Trip to Israel and the West Bank with World Vision.
- A Paper on the Application of Job – Love Does No Harm
- An Exegetic Analysis and Meditation on Romans 12:9-21
- Honour Killings–Are they rooted in Islam?