I love Facebook and I think its got a lot of positives. It has some negatives too though. I see the best and the worst of humanity on Facebook. Here is some advice collected from my 5 year experience with my many Facebook Friends. I will say – I am typing this advice to myself as well as there have been times when I have transgressed my own advice.
1) Don’t use Facebook to get even with someone who has upset you, or to outwork your frustrations toward other people. And don’t make statements like – I am really upset with you…you know who you are. Statements like that just make you look dumb…..you know who you are. Lol
2) If you claim to be a Christian, don’t then post photos of you drunk, don’t swear on posts and don’t like pages, posts or pics that are contrary to your Christian values. Be as intentional with your digital Christian life as you are with your normal Christian life.
3) Never ever ever ever post naked photos of your kids – no matter how old they are.
4) Never embarrass your kids online. Don’t make dumb dad joke comments on their posts etc.
5) If you are in a bit of a FB debate – never make it personal and never get involved in personal attacks.
6) Don’t overshare. Don’t be seduced into thinking its just you and your computer:- just because you are sitting alone in your house – you need to assume what you write will be read widely: and by your parents, your spouse, your boss, your workmates, your friends, your enemies, creepers, randoms.
7) Don’t post on FB if you are highly emotive – ie you have had a bad day or you have just been in conflict with someone. Its not the forum to vent, particularly about people.
8) FB is not your counsellor – so don’t talk to it about all your problems.
9) There are plenty of creeps in the world – assume they look at your profile – use privacy settings to keep them out. Assume they can still see in and post accordingly.
10) If your teenagers are on FB – be an intentional and wise parent and teach them how to use FB carefully. Show them this post and talk through all the points.
Hope that helps. You may also want to read my research paper on the spiritual consequences of Social Media. Click here
If this Blog has been helpful, informative, or inspirational to you, please feel free to share it on Facebook or Twitter. Email Subscriptions to my blog are welcome or you can contact me through Facebook (facebook.com/peter.pilt5), Twitter (@PeterPilt) or Insta (@PeterPilt). Have a great day.
My Top Ten Most Popular Blogs Are:
- Exposing Nimble: Dumb Little Loans Deceptive Little Company
- Today the World was Outraged by the Wrong Thing: The Mitchell Pearce Incident
- Top 20 Creative Sermon Titles and Illustrations From Peter Pilt
- Compelling Evidence of the Authenticity of the Bible.
- Social Media: Is it Positive or Negative for a Person’s Spiritual Journey
- Is it OK to Eat Red Meat on Good Friday?
- Powerful Meditation on Ezekiel 37, The Valley of Dry Bones
- 44 Powerful Emotive Australian Photos
- Peter Pilt’s Seven Thoughts on the Sydney Siege
- 39 Powerful and Thought Provoking Questions